R5 Manual (Click to download)
R5 User Guide (click to download)
Quick Steps to Get Started
The recorder is at optimal settings out of box, so you can ignore all the setting options if they make you confusing.
- Recharge: plug it into a computer or into a wall charger to charge it. It doesn't come with a wall charger, but it's compatible with any smart phone charger or USB port in power socket. It takes 2-3 hours to fully charge it and battery lasts about 15 hours on one charge.
- Power on/off: Press and hold down the PLAY button (▶||) for 3 seconds to power on/off.
- Record: When the recorder is powered on, hit the REC button (the one with a red dot on it) to start a recording, hit the PLAY button to pause (can ignore it if no need to pause) and REC again to save the recording.
- Playback: Hit the PLAY button to start/pause playback. Press Backward/Forward button to switch between audio tracks. Scroll the VOLUME wheel to adjust volume.
- Upload files to computer: Plug the recorder into your computer using the USB cable included, there will be 2 options (Charge and Play, Charge and Transfer) on the screen. Select Charge and Transfer, hit the MENU button, it will show up on the computer as a removable flash drive. Click open the flash drive, all recordings are in the RECORD folder. You can select the recordings to copy or move to your computer.
Figures on Screen
1. Rec subsection: Store a long recording as smaller files automatically. Say you are going to record a lecture of 3 hours long. If you set the Record subsection as 30M, the recorder will save the recording as a separate file every 30 minutes. So you get 6 recordings of 30 minutes long instead of one recording of 3 hours long.
2. Noise Reduction: When you turn on Record Reduction Mode, the recorder will omit some high-pitch sound and takes down more mellow and deep voice.
3. Recording Monitor: To monitor the quality of the recording. When Rec Monitor is Open, you can hear what the recorder picks up via headphones during recording. It tells you exactly how the recording is, so you can know if there is too much noise, if the sound is too low for the recorder, thus to further set the Noise Reduction or move the recorder closer to sound source.
4. VOR Voice Control: Voice activated recording. In VOR mode, the recorder only records voice loud enough to activate recording and will omit silence to save storage space. You can adjust the threshold via Mic Sensitivity. The higher the value, the more sensitive the microphones. That means it will picks up lower voice. Please note, you still need to turn on the recorder, press the Record Button to initiate/save the recording.
5. Mic Sensitivity: It works together with VOR Voice Control, only functions in VOR mode. It's the threshold of VOR mode.
6. Timing-Rec: Set up a specific time for the recorder to start recording automatically.
Basic points in setting up the recorder:
1. All setting options are included in the Menu list.
2. Hold down the Menu button for about 3 seconds to bring up the Menu list.
3. Press Backward/Forward button to highlight the item needed, press Menu button to enter the setting of that item.
4. If there needs a numerical value, for example in setting up time and date, scroll the Volume Button to change the value.
5. Once you’ve set a specific value for a menu item, please always remember to click the Menu button to have the recorder save the settings. There won’t be always a prompt message to remind you the settings are done, but as soon as you press down the Menu button, the setting value is recorded.
Steps for setting up some of the features:
Time and Date
1. Hold down the menu button for 3 seconds to bring up the Menu list. Press Forward button to highlight Date And Time, press Menu button to enter.
2. Select Set Time or Date Setting and press Menu button to change time or date.
3. Whenever the item is highlighted, scroll up / down the Volume Button to increase/decrease the value.
4. Press forward/backward button to go to the next/previous item. Once all the value have been updated, press Menu button to confirm your settings.
Please note, Date Format is currently not manifested in File name or anywhere. We are updating the system to include date on the screen.
Set file type as MP3
1. Hold the MENU button for about 3 seconds to bring up Menu List.
2. Press forward button to highlight Recording Setting, press MENU to enter.
3. Press forward button to highlight Recording Format and MENU to enter.
4. Press forward button to highlight MP3 Format and MENU to enter.
5. Select a recording rate, press MENU to confirm.
6. The higher the rate, the better the recording, and the more space it takes to store the recording.
Set up Voice Activated Recording
1. Turn on the recorder, hold down the menu button for about 3 seconds to bring up the menu list
2. Press forward button to select Recording Setting, press Menu button to enter
3. Press forward button to select VOR Voice Control and press Menu button to enter
4. Select VOR Voice Control Mode and press Menu button to confirm your setting.
There is no prompt message showing VOR is set up, but it’s set up once you press down the Menu button. Start a new recording, you’ll see there are the letters VOR at the end of the file name.
Just below the VOR Voice Control, there is the Mic Sensibility in the menu list, you can set it as High or Low to change the sensitivity of the microphone in VOR mode. The recorder will start recording at lower sound when it's High and louder sound when it's Low.
1. Set up system date and time first.
2. Hold down Menu button for 3 seconds to bring up Menu List. Press Backward/Forward Button to select Recording Setting and press Menu button to enter.
3. Select Timing-Rec Setting, press Menu button to enter.
4. Select On and press Menu button to turn on timing recording. It’ll go back to previous hierarchy after you press the Menu button. Timing Recording is turned on.
5. Select Start Time and press Menu button to enter, set up the time you want it to start recording the same way as setting up time and date. Then set up End Time of recording. Remember to press Menu button to save the value you set. There is no prompt message, but the time is recorded once you press the Menu button.
6. Once Start and End Time are set up, you can shut down the recorder. As long as there is energy, the recorder will turn on and start recording at Start Time and save the recording at End Time every day.
Delete file / Erase file
1. When the recorder is not playing any file, that is when the timer on the main interface is not running, press backward/forward button to select the file to be deleted. Press Delete Button and hold it down for about 3 seconds to bring up the menu to delete a file
2. Press the forward button to highlight Delete Single Song or Delete All, please note the first option is Cancel Delete which will cancel the deletion.
3. Press the MENU button to bring up the deleting menu
4. Press the forward button to highlight Yes or No, then press the MENU button to confirm your option
Or you can connect the machine to your PC with the USB cable provided, all files are located in the RECORD folder, you can delete files there. Please note, files can not be recovered once deleted.
1. The recorder won’t charge or hold a charge.
1) Please try a different cable and charge it plugging into a computer in case of faulty cable.
2) Charge for 3 hours.
3) If it still doesn’t charge, contact us with your Amazon order number.
2. The recorder won’t upload to the computer.
Please try a different cable and a different computer in case there is an issue with the cable or the port in the computer. For quality issue with the cable or the recorder itself, please contact us with your Amazon order number.
3. My computer can’t play the recordings.
The recorder can record WAV and MP3 files. All Windows should be able to play WAV and MP3 files. If not, please install a program which can play WAV or MP3 files. If you use MAC, please convert WAV files to MP3 files via iTune, or install a program which can play WAV files. Next time before you make new recordings, set the file type to MP3 so the recorder saves recordings as MP3 files directly.
4. I can’t find the musical files uploaded to the recorder.
Please make sure the files you uploaded is in MP3 format or WAV format, and don’t create any folder for them, just lay them out in the memory.
5. The screen is frozen, no button is functioning.
Plug it into a computer to re-activate it.
6. The recorder is dead, will not turn on or charge.
Please hold down the power button for about 20 seconds to reboot it. Then plug it into a computer to activate it.
7. The recorder can only pick up loud sounds nearby.
1) Turn off Noise Reduction.
2) If it’s in Voice Activated Recording mode, set Mic Sensitivity as High.
3) Make sure the microphones are not covered.
8. There is hissing noise in recordings.
1) Turn on Noise Reduction. Please note it may omit some subtle sound.
2) Don’t put the recorder too close to sound source.
3) Don’t shake the recorder during recording.
It’s not likely to completely eliminate hissing noises. We can try to keep it in tolerable range.
For any problem not listed here, please contact us with your Amazon order number.